Friday, November 7, 2014

IKON & Winner: YG's Newest Boy Bands

What's up everybody!!
      It's Anna! I am super excited to start blogging alongside my sister, and I thought that there would be no better to kick it off than talking about IKON and having a brief overview of how they got to where they are and sharing my opinions and thoughts about the group after having watched "Who Is Next" and "Mix and Match" :)

    IKON is Yg's newest boy group, it started back in 2012 when YG created a survival program called "Who Is Next:WIN", and placed all of it's trainees into two separate teams: Team A and Team B.

Team A: Seunghoon,Taehyun, Jinwoo, Seungyoon  and Mino


Team B: Yunhyeong, B.I. Junhoe,Bobby,Jinhwan and Donghyuk



    In "Who Is Next:Win", YG had Team A and Team B competing against one another for the chance to debut, with the promise that the group that did not win the survival show would be disbanded or a there would be a change in members. There were 10 episodes and in the end, Team A won and debut as Winner on August 15,2013. Team B went back to their regular training, still hoping for the opportunity to debut as six members. Being a hardcore Team B fan, I was extremely disappointed that they did not win and lost that opportunity to debut. However, I have very impressed with Winner and the music that they have created with their own unique style and flair.                                                                       
    In May of this year, YG decided that rather than disbanding Team B that he would put them into another survival program titled "Mix&Match", that would include three new trainees. He told them that he was going to debut a group with seven members and that their name was going to be IKON. The three new trainees were: Chanwoo, Jinhyeong and Hongseok

~Chanwoo~

~Jinhyeong~


~Hongseok~

     With these three new trainee,s the "Mix&Match" began. I loved watching the show, and as much as it broke my heart to watch them go through all so much stress, changes, and difficulties, I believe that they have all become stronger individuals from it. Their teamwork (which was already incredible), has become an even stronger force to be reckoned with. With 9 members and only 7 positions, two people were going to be eliminated. For most fans, myself included, we all wanted the original 6 to 6 with one new member. Everyone differed on who they thought would be best for the group, especially in the area of vocals. Team B and now IKON, have two incredible rappers in B.I. and Bobby but their vocals were always what tripped them up. However, I believe that they have all improved SO much and that vocal ability is no longer the main question. I wanted someone whom I felt fit into the group, not just with the teamwork or even in how well the members got along. Because after 6 months of filming "Mix&Match", living together, and practicing together, I belive that all of the boys were close.
 What was most important to me was whom among Chanwoo, Jinhyeong, or Honseok had the best presence onstage, and who fit with the original 6 members who has the majority of what's necessary to debut down. For me, that member has consistently been Chanwoo. Chanwoo is definitely a good looking kid, but I never thought that he should get into IKON based only on his looks. Over and over again he proved to me that he had that ease, that presence on stage that let me enjoy his performance rather than constantly making me critique what he was doing. His voice was steady and controled, he is not the best singer but he can carry his own without making mistakes. He has alot of room for improvement, but I think that he will rise to our expectations :)
     Jinhyeong surprised me, when he first came. I didn't think to much about his voice, except that he had a nice tone that was buried beneath an unstable pitch and that he lacked presence. But throughout the competition he grew vocally and improved in every performance.
    Hongseok, was different in that I enjoyed his voice. It still would have pitch problems but his tone was very apparent however I did not enjoy his performances, he would stick out to me as not blending in as well as Chanwoo and Jinhyeong. I felt that he was more suited to a ballad group rather than a IKON, because IKON is aiming for hip-hop. However in the final match especially in Sinojishak, he really showed me that he could enjoy the stage.
      Overall I think Chanwoo, Jinhyeong and Hongseok still all have a lot to learn and improve on, but as for who is ready to debut I do believe that it is Chanwoo. I am SO excited for IKON to finally debut after the original members having to go through 2 survival programs. Knowing as a fan that Team B has made it to the debut point, is so satisfying and I know that they will only go up from here on out. I am really excited that Chanwoo will be with them.  I can't wait to see Jinhyeong and  Hongseok in the future, because I know that they have one in K-POP and that they have great talent. I wish them the very best and I will be rooting for them when they finally debut!

I am super excited for IKON!!! YG PLEASE, PLEASE ACTUALLY DEBUT THEM IN JANUARY DON'T MAKE US WAIT AS LONG AS IT TOOK WINNER TO DEBUT! PLEASE!!!!

Proud of our boys! They have finally made it to the debut point and I can't be more happy for them! IKON *FIGHTING*!
Anna

PS. Tell me who your biases are in IKON and how you feel about the members chosen and the two that were not. :) Peace out!



No comments:

Post a Comment