Friday, August 15, 2014

K-Drama Review~ Shut Up! Boy Flower Band


**WARNING, THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS**

Hi All!
     I've never done a K-Drama review before, but I thought that since I watch so many of them, I mine as tell you my thoughts while I'm watching. I think I'll upload these every week, sharing my thoughts about what has happened in the drama, as well as my thoughts. So without any more delay, let's jump into what shaped out to be one of my favorite dramas, Shut Up: Boy Flower Band.

~Plot~
(From Viki.com)

Although they share a passion for their music, rival bands Eye Candy and Strawberry Fields also share animosity toward one another after a fight between the bands results in the death of one of the members. Now, the Eye Candy members have transferred to a prestigious high school where the members of Strawberry Fields are already attending. Can the two bands find neutral territory in their shared love of music or will they clash yet again? “Shut Up Flower Boy Band,” also known as “Shut Up & Let’s Go,” is a 2012 South Korean comedy series directed by Lee Kwon. It is the second series produced by cable channel tvN’s “Oh! Boy” series, after “Flower Boy Ramen Shop.” The series is known for starring “flower boys,” a phrase used to describe young, good-looking leading men.

~Characters~

Position~ Leader, Vocals, Guitarist
Kwon Ji-Hyuk- played by Sung Joon, is the leader of Eye Candy after Byung-Hee dies. He is the most aware of what the other members strengths and weakness are, being sure to take care of them. His desire to protect them can get him in trouble sometimes though, as we see when he meets and falls in love with Su-Ah, Byung-Hee's muse. He feels very deeply and is protective over the rest of the members in Eye Candy. Can he protect Eye Candy and be in love as well?

Position~ Guitarist
Lee Hyun-Soo- played by L from Infinite, is the guitarist of the group. His loves his family and wants to take care of them, and tries to ensure that he is doing everything possible to provide for them. He places a lot of pressure onto his shoulders and his desire is to rise to stardom in the K-Pop world so he practices through the night, while the others mess around. Can he rise into stardom and be apart of Eye Candy at the same time?


Position~ Drummer
Jang Do-Il~ played by Lee Hyun-Jae, is the quieter one of the Eye Candy members, not feeling the need to talk unless spoken to. No one knows too much about him, although Eye Candy members use his mom's billiard as a rehearsal and hang out spot. Unlike the other members, he doesn't like getting into fights since his father is a gangster. The only one who know is Ji-Hyuk, and Woo Kyung (the girl Do-Il likes), likes Ji-Hyuk. Can he survive in the spotlight and also win over Woo Kyung at the same time?


Position~ Bassist
Kim Ha-Jin~ played by Yoo Min-Kyu is the groups player. In the beginning introductions, we learn that he joined the band to meet girls. Classic Casanova. It may seem like he'd be the big shot in his family, but he has six over zealous sisters, who also have loud personalities. Ha-Jin is very good with the girls, but when it comes to Ye-Rim ( a famous singer he is in love with), he completely loses his cool aura. Can Ha-Jin win over Ye-Rim?

Position~ Keyboard
Seo Kyung-Jong~ played by Kim Min Suk, is the maknae of the group. He is the cutie of the group and is generally very positive. He is from Busan and so escape from his families fish shop their ( and the nickname that come with it), he moves to Seoul and joins Eye Candy after going to Dongnae High School with them. Can he keep up with the rest of the members and keep his family from finding out about the rest of Eye Candy's sketchy past?

~Thoughts~
      So, first off lemme just say THESE BOYS ARE GORGEOUS!! *clears throat* I swear I spent the whole first episode freaking out and stopping every 5 seconds to comment to my sister Anna about their faces or hair or anything that made me realize why I love Flower Boy shows. One of my favorite shows is Flower Boy Ramyun Shop, and this show is made by the same company and is slowly climbing up the list of favorite shows. Also, one of the things I noticed was the color and tone of the show. They use a lot of cooler and darker shades, which I love. It gives the show a really nice Indie feel. The quality in which it was filmed also gives it a more independent feel. And if ya'll know me, you know I love my indie flicks
     I'm so excited about this show! I think it's going to be top notch. When I watched the first couple episodes, I didn't know what was going to happen in the storyline, so I had no way to brace myself. But you should probably have a box of tissues for the 2nd- 3rd episode.
    The acting is really good and I love how raw this drama is, it really hits home on the whole down and out tortured musician thing. I'm loving every character, and I'm excited to see what this drama brings to the table.
    I'm loving the eyeliner that Byung-Hee rocks when he is apart of the show! This boy gets my need for eyeliner. Sadly we only get a cameo from Lee Min Ki for the first 2 episodes, but the show is good anyways.
I like that the main theme is friendship. So many dramas just focus on the romance aspect that they forget about it, but this drama really focuses on the relationships between Ji-Hyuk and all the boys. Plus, you get a peek into everyone's stories rather than just one guy or girl.

I hope that you all will check out this phenomenal drama. It really hits home and will make you laugh and cry. It has a total 16 episodes, and is definitely one of my new favorites. It has a slight Indie feel to it, and is not your average teen high school drama. I'll see you guys next time!

~ Grace~



Song of This Post~

Not In Love- Shut Up Boy Flower Band OST
   

No comments:

Post a Comment